Friday, April 18, 2014

A change up!

As of yesterday I am making a little change up as I move forward in my training off season. That change will be about 3 weeks long as I move into my next mesocycle of training. The major switch is going to be in volume increases. I have been doing about 240-26 sets a workout lately and will go up to 30ish sets now and that is with less muscle groups being hit per workout as well.

I am also going to a 4 days on 1 day off split routine vs the 1 on 1 off routine I had been with for the past 12 weeks. To assure I do not get overtrained I am dropping my cardio down to just 30-40 minutes once every 5th day or the day I take off from the gym. This will be mild intensity at most and more on the low end or about 130-140 beats a minute HR wise. More of a recovery modality then anything really.

My split will look like this:

day 1 chest abs
day 2 back/traps
day 3 arms/shoulders
day 4 legs/calves
day 5 off (cardio)
day 1 repeat....

I am still going to keep 1 staple prime multijoint powerlifter movement at the start of each workout to sustain my max strength from the past 12 weeks. It will look as follows:

all lifts below will be 8 progressive sets going from 10 reps to a 2 rep max with timed 2 minute rests between sets

day 1 flat bb bench press
day 2 bb deadlifts
day 3 seated db shoulder press
day 4 medium stance squats

My workouts will take about 90 minutes each which includes general and dynamic warm up time, movement prep time and pillar activation movements before every lift. I foam roll after back and leg days and do PNF band stretching after arms and chest days as well and that's factored in to total workout time.

I am adding in CLA (3g a day), HMB (3g a day) and a Liver Support supplement daily now as well to help combat the volume, added metabolic stress and sustain my general health overall. I am also going to "toy" with some BCAA pulsing between my meals over this cycle. Meaning I will take 5-10g doses of my Dymatize Recoup upon waking, pre/during lift, 2 hours after my post lift meal and again an hour before my final meal. I want to see what this does for my soreness and recovery rates.

Thats all folks. Take care and look for Sunday's pictures and stats check in!



No comments:

Post a Comment